ABOUT MY CHINESE FAN PALM - Knowledgebase Question

Milton, FL (Zone 8B)
Question by msscjoseph
I'VE HAD MY PALM IN THE LIVING ROOM FOR MONTHS NOW AND IT SEEMED TO BE DOING FINE NOW IT'S TURNING A LITTLE BROWN AND YELLOW. I WAS WONDERING IF IT'S NOT GETTING ENOUGH LITE OR NOT GETTING ENOUGH WATER. I CAN MOVE IT OUT ONTO MY PORCH WHERE IT'S REAL LITE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. THANK YOU SUSIE

0

Susie,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

That plant likes more light than most indoor rooms can provide. The problem could be complicated by dry soil or soggy root conditions as both extremes are not good for the plant. Try moving it to more light and watch the soil moisture carefully for a while. Fertilize with a soluble plant food such as Miracle Gro every couple of weeks for a month or two, following label instructions. Hopefully it will turn around and resume normal growth.