Stinkbugs - Knowledgebase Question

Eldersburg, MD
Question by jromans
December 28, 1997
I have grown your Supertasty Hybrid tomato for three years and have always been very pleased with my harvest - both in numbers, size, and taste. This year for the first time, however, I developed an infestation of stinkbugs, which really destroyed the quality of the fruit. I sprayed almost daily with malathion and it did not help the problem much. Do you have any suggestions for prevention of this problem in 1998?

December 28, 1997

0

Stinkbugs usually suck the sap from the stems of plants, which would certainly compromise the quantity and quality of your tomato crop. To control, handpick the bugs and squash their eggs (two rows of small white pegs). Or plant a trap crop of brocolli or cabbage (they love cole crops). Keep weeds in the garden pulled and if you must spray, use a pyrethrin based insecticide.

Better luck next year!