Watering Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Moreno Valley, CA (Zone 8B)
Question by lblanton12
I have tall fescue in the back and St Augustine in the front. I will be away on vacation next week for 10 days. I checked the weather for Moreno Valley, CA (80 to 90 degrees) while I am away. I need to set my sprinklers for the time I am away, but I don't know how long and how many days I should set the sprinklers to avoid returning home to a dying lawn. HELP

0

If your sprinklers are on a timer, it should be easy to keep your lawn green while you're away. You'll first need to determine how much water your sprinklers put out. Place empty tuna cans or cat food cans on the lawn and turn the sprinklers on. Wait 15 minutes and then check the amount of water in the cans. If it's less than an inch, turn the sprinklers on again and time to see how long it takes to get one inch of water in the cans. This is how long you should set the timer to deliver water. Depending upon water pressure it could be 15-30 minutes or more. Most lawns will be happy with one inch of water per week. If weather is very hot, you may want to water every 4 days. Best wishes with your lawn!