Tall Black Sunflower - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Worth, TX (Zone 7B)
Question by arampmaus
I have an 8' tall black sunflower. Is this unusal or a trick of nature? How do I take care of them? Also, how do I take care of yellow sunflowers? Do they need lots of water and fertilizer?

0

As impressive as your 8' sunflower is, it's not unusual. Most sunflowers grow from 6-10' tall. Sunflowers are so much fun to grow because they're such cheerful plants and in my experience are not "fussy." They like at least 8 hours of sun daily and can tolerate hot weather. They are thirsty though, so you'll want to keep the soil moist until the plants get tall. Then you can let the top inch or two of soil dry out between waterings. Once they get going, it seems as if they grow by leaps and bounds! It isn't necessary to fertilize your sunflowers, but a dilute solution of liquid fertilizer applied at the base of the plant won't do any harm. Enjoy your sunflowers!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"