Evergreen Magnolia Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Marysville, Wa
Question by jeepmama43
I need to know what kind of fertilizer to use on my Evergreen Magnolia? More information on this tree would help me make it a beautiful site to see and enjoy.
Thanks

0

Evergreen magnolias have thick leathery leaves that remain during the winter and rose-red berries (seeds) on cone-like structures in the fall. The leaves of some varieties have rich brown fuzz on the undersides. Plant in full sun to partial shade in organic, acid, moist, well-drained soil. Give it protection from winter (NW) winds. When it comes time to fertilize your Magnolias you should use an acidic based fertilizer. This will be the same fertilizer you use on your Rhododendrons. This fertilizer can come in liquid or granular form. I use the liquid for a quick response or to just green up the foliage. The granular fertilizers are slower but longer lasting. Apply in amounts and with the frequency recommended on the package label.