Pumpkin Culture - Knowledgebase Question

Los Alamitos, CA
Question by Farley333
December 29, 1997
I've had very little success growing pumpkins. They get plenty of sunlight and enough water. The plant grows, but the pumpkins never get too far passed the flowering stage. Am I over watering them? Or is the soil poor? I grew only one pumpkin this year and it was the size of an orange.

December 29, 1997

0

Sounds as though you need to try a shorter season variety of pumpkin. Ghost Rider matures in 115 days. Try giving the plants about an inch of water a week. If the vines look wilted, water some more.

If your soil is poor, that could be the problem. Amend the soil with lots of organic matter--compost or aged manure, for example. When you fertilize, side-dress with a 5-10-10 to encourage blossom development. And, try to plant other things in the garden that bloom when your vines blossom, to attract insects to your garden. Better luck next year!