Burning Bush - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, MD
Question by mshortey2
I would like to know about Burning Bush. Our local Home Depot Has these and I want to know how it earns its name. How big does it get, is it a perennial and what kind of care does it need? Can it be planted in a container?

0

Burning bush, or winged euonymus (Euonymus alatus) likes a reasonably moist soil; it is quite adaptable to a variety of soils. Their gorgeous fall color is brightest if they are planted in full sun. That's why they're called burning bush - the fall color is so intense they look as though they might be on fire. They are easily established, and require little specialized care. Just be sure to keep new plantings well watered throughout their first season in the garden. These shrubs can get 6-8 feet tall and wide without pruning but will remain smaller if pruned annually. While you can grow one in a container while it's young, you'll eventually need to plant it in the ground.