Concern for Purple Fountain plant - Knowledgebase Question

Houston, Te
Question by wandrchilder
Our Purple Fountain plant was planted a couple of months ago. We are on a sprinkler schedule, so it is getting proper watering and it has good drainage, however, after we weeded nut grass out of the area of this plant, it now leans and I am always repositioning the soil to keep it upright. Should this plant be replanted, supported in some way??? What do you suggest we do to keep this plant upright? I am concerned that it's going to fall over entirley.

Thank you for you help.

0

It sounds as though you undermined the soil a bit when you pulled out a clump of weeds. The best remedy for the situation is to hold the fountain grass in the opposite direction of the lean, and fill in beneath the plant with some soil so it sits level again. Don't try to stake it upright, just fill in the hole. You may have to dig around a little to gain access to the root mass, but once you do, you can push some soil into the space and gently tamp it down. Then water thoroughly to help settle the soil.