Mimosa Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, KY
Question by jno50
I have a volunteer mimosa tree that came up in my yard. I do not want it to get much taller than the roof of my one story house. Can I trim it back to keep it at that height?

0

You can keep a mimosa at a certain height and width with selective pruning. Don't let it get away from you - it's difficult to effective reduce the height of a tree once it becomes overgrown. I have a maple tree that I've kept to 4' in height (2' in width) for the last 15 years. I simply prune it back in the winter and in the spring when it begins to leaf out, it does so on the existing branches. During the summer it attempts to grow additional branches, but I trim them out every 3-4 weeks. Best wishes with your mimosa.