larkspur - Knowledgebase Question

Columbia, sc
Question by graciec324
When to plant larkspur and where to get the plants or should you always plant seeds?

0

Larkspur is an annual plant in your growing region and is usually grown by sowing seeds in the garden in late fall or early winter. Or, you can germinate the seeds indoors and have plants ready to put out into the garden in spring. Here's my tried and true way of getting larkspur seeds to germinate indoors: Place seeds together with moistened growing medium, seal in a plastic bag, and refrigerate for 2 weeks. The sow on the surface of moistened seed starting mix and just barely cover with additional mix. Keep the trays or pots in a cool, dark area. Seeds will germinate in 8-10 weeks when kept at 50F - 55F. I sow my seeds in February and keep them in the garage. When seedlings appear I move the trays indoors and under a source of artificial light. The larkspur are ready to plant outdoors by the end of May.