Transplanted Yuccas Look Sick - Knowledgebase Question

TACOMA, WA
Question by BRUCEBENICE
I planted 2 new soft-leaf yuccas and transplanted 2 older ones. The next day I noticed the center leaves (the ones that stick straight up) had fallen over and show yellow on one new yukka and 1 older one! I'm thinking I overwatered? I put water both in the hole and around the base once planted and made a well. Then it rained! Will they be OK or should I replant them?

Thanks for any help for they are not inexpensive plants.

0

I think you did everything right in moving them (although mid-summer isn't always the best time to transplant). It's natural for plants to go through a little transplant shock when their roots are disturbed. At the moment, the best thing you can do for your yuccas is to water them deeply once each week until the roots become established. By fall they should be just fine. Next spring you can prune away the affected leaves and they will replace the leaves with healthy new growth. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"