Week Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

South Glastonbury, CT (Zone 5B)
Question by cbreen24
I just planted 3 hydrangeas this spring. They are blooming beautifully, but I have noticed lately that the blooms may be too heavy for the stems and they are dropping severely. I tried to add soil to prop them up, but that was only a temporary fix. Any thoughts. I don't want to loose these beautiful flowers!!

0

Sometimes hydrangeas will droop if overfertilized with nitrogen fertilizer, this can cause lanky and weak stems. They may also wilt during the summer if grown in too much sun or in soil that is not kept evenly moist -- damp like a moist sponge but not sopping wet or saturated. Since your plants are new, they may not yet be fully rooted and established. This could cause them to wilt a bit while in bloom due to losing moisture faster than they can take it up on hot days. By next year that should not longer be a problem assuming they are planted in a suitable location. Since they are new, you could also check with your retailer if you do not think this is plausible. Enjoy your hydrangeas!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"