Potting soil for Banana - Knowledgebase Question

piedmont, SC
Question by gamb971
I just bought a Red Leaved Banana. I am going to leave it in a pot outside during the summer and Bring it in the house during the winter. I need to repot it in a larger pot and need to know what mix of soil to use. Any other help that you can furnish would be helpfull. Thanks.

0

Different plants have slightly different needs, but a safe bet would be a good grade all-purpose commercial potting soil. It's generally a mixture of sand, compost or peat, and perlite. In combination they supply just the right proportions of organic matter and air space to promote a healthy environment for the roots of your plant. You can make your own custom mix by combining 1-2 parts of commercial potting soil, one part perlite and 1 part compost or leaf mold. Of primary importance is a mix that's well-draining, yet moisture retentive, and one that contains some nutrients that will be released slowly so the growing roots have a ready source of food.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"