lilacs - Knowledgebase Question

Waterville, OH
Question by luckyrnbsn
My lilac bush has not bloomed the 9 years I've had it. Is there something I'm doing wrong or could this just be one that will never flower? I have tried changing it's location to near some flowering lilac bushes but no change. I have also tried changing food and amount of sun light. It seems to be a very healthy bush but as for blooming--- it's dead. Help!!!!

Thank you!

0

Based on your description I am not sure what is happening with your lilac bush. The most common reasons for lack of bloom are too little sunlight (they do best in full direct sun all day long) and improper pruning (these shrubs bloom on old wood, so pruning should only be done in early summer right after their normal bloom time -- pruning at other times can remove flowering wood or flower buds) and overfertilizing, especially with nitrogen. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you but maybe this will help you trouble shoot.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"