Insects - Knowledgebase Question

East Fishkill, NY (Zone 5A)
Question by medinas
My flowers and roses including their leafs are being eaten. I can't tell by which insect. The only insects I have seen so far are ants, what looks like house flies but has vivid colors on it like tourquois and a black insect with a small shell with what looks like two hind legs and two antennas. Please help.

0

Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain what is eating your plants. Ants generally would not eat plants, nor would flies. It is possible that the Japanese beetles are eating them, these are fairly large irridescent beetles that fly. They can sometimes be repelled by spraying with neem -- be sure to carefully read and follow the label instructions. Before doing that however I would suggest you work with your county extension to obtain a firm identification of the culprit. Once you know that, you can determine the best way to proceed and they will be able to suggest appropriate controls. Good luck with your plants!