Water schedule for fescue - Knowledgebase Question

raleigh, nc
Question by lazar76
My fescue lawn was looking very good until about mid-June and the sun has just started burning it dry. It looks more like hay then a lawn. How many times a week should I be watering it. I have hose sprinkler and give about 30 min an area twice a week. This obviously is not enough. How much should a give, and what is too much?
Lennie Friedman

0

I don't think the problem is in watering (you have certainly tried to keep the roots moist!), but rather than fescues are cool season grasses. Cool-season grasses grow primarily during spring and fall. They become dormant during the hottest part of the summer and the coldest part of the winter. They are usually green year round but may turn brown under extreme heat and cold. Cool-season grasses include tall fescue, bluegrass, turf-type fescue, perennial ryegrass, and mixtures of any of these grasses.

To maintain a green lawn throughout the summer, you'll want to overseed your existing lawn with some warm-season grasses. Your local nursery may even have a custom blend - why not ask?

Best wishes with your landscape!