grow curley parsley and leave turn yellow - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, MD (Zone 7A)
Question by reginaamsl
I have grown curley parsley out dooors and it does well, then early in summer the leaves start turning yellow in color an eventually dies. Plant will return next spring What can I do to prevent this yellowing?

0

Parsley is a biennial plant, growing vegetatively the first year and producing flowers and seeds the second year. I suspect that when your parsley plant died out it set seeds, which is what is coming up now. To prolong the life of your parsley, keep the stems cut back as often as possible, even if it means drying the herb or freezing it rather than wasting the leaves. If you keep two-thirds of the foliage cut back, your parsley won't be so apt to set seed and die.