Mystery Gardenia Flowers Browning - Knowledgebase Question

Eugene, OR
Question by ingridwongu
Hi,
I have two beautiful gallon pots of mystery gardenias, which I purchased recently. The flowers have been blooming and the leaves look great (very green), but I noticed that the flowers are starting to wilt (turning yellow or brown) in the past week. There's still other blooms coming. What should I do with the yellowed flowers? Am I supposed to cut them? I'm afraid that if I do, gardenias won't flower again.
Thanks.

0

It's normal for the flowers to age after a few days of beautiful display. Yellowing and browning petals are an indication that the flowers are spent. Cut these blossoms off and your plant will put its energy into producing more flowers. Mystery Gardenia flowers over a long season - from early spring through mid-summer - but eventually the shrub will stop producing flowers for the season. Enjoy those that it does produce and next year, when the shrubs are larger, they will produce even more gorgeous blossoms.