Help for lemon balm plant - Knowledgebase Question

Dekalb, IL (Zone 5A)
Question by joydavis99
I recently purchased a lemon balm herb plant from a local home gardener. The plant is growing in regular, hard, clay-like garden soil in a 3-inch plastic container. I would like to transplant it to a 4-inch plastic container with Miracle-Gro potting soil. Do you think this would be okay? Or would the change in soil types be too drastic for the plant? Also, I misted the leaves of the lemon balm with water the other day. After that, the leaves began to curl up and turn brown on the edges. Is there anything I can do to salvage this plant,before I transplant it? Can lemon balm withstand misting? Or is the water too much for its delicate leaves? If so, what should I do if it rains on the leaves?

Thank you,
J.Davis-N.IL

0

The browning leaf margins may be normal, if it only affects the oldest (lower) leaves; if the problem is throughout the plant, I'd suspect poor soil drainage and too much water. Repotting in fresh potting soil will improve your plant's appearance. Don't mist lemon balm. It likes hot, dry weather. After repotting, allow your plant to adjust for a few weeks, then pinch off the affected leaves, or clip off the entire stem. Healthy new stems and leaves should appear just a few weeks after pruning. Enjoy your lemon balm!