moving a hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Cruz, CA (Zone 8B)
Question by heatherc125
I would like to move a really big hydrangea bush from the front of my yard to the back yard. How and when can I do this? Mind you it is a really big bush, 5 feet wide by 6 feet tall.

0

You can move your hydrangea with ease if you wait until this winter when it is dormant. Simply cut the branches back to 18-24 inches from the ground (for ease in handling) and dig a wide and deep hole, trying not to sever too many roots. Replant your hydrangea so it rests at the same soil level as it was growing before. Winter rains will help settle the soil around the roots and in the spring, new stems will emerge from the stubs of stems you left when you pruned it before moving it. Most of these new stems will produce flowers. Enjoy!