Moss in Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Dunkirk, MD
Question by alanshoe
How do I eliminate moss in the lawn?

0

Moss is a symptom of several problems: compacted soil, poor drainage, too much shade, not enough sunshine, and low soil fertility.

To manage moss effectively, you need to address and correct as many of these problems as possible. You can rake to remove the moss and then re-seed the bare areas. Try to put your lawn on a regular feeding schedule, according to its growth cycle. Not knowing the specific type of grass you have, I'll venture that it should be fertlized in April and September, when it's most actively growing. Have your soil tested for nutrient and pH levels, and fertilize according to test recommendations. Your extension service (ph# 410/535-3662)can help you with a soil test. When you improve the drainage, provide better fertility and more sunshine, you should have fewer moss problems.