Portulaca - Knowledgebase Question

Harwood, TX (Zone 8B)
Question by mtaranto5
My container portulacas are getting long legged, light green, leaves are falling off, and flowers are getting mushy. The very tips are fuzzy. They do have full sun and plenty of heat. Please advise.

0

Portulaca is a sprawling plant and what you're seeing (legginess) is its natural growth habit. However, it should not be dropping leaves and looking leggy. Mushy plant parts indicates too much soil moisture (or humidity that is extremely high). There isn't much you can do about the humidity, but you can hold off on watering, and you can make an extra effort to keep water off the plant leaves and flowers. I'd pinch or prune the tips of the stems back, both to remove the mushy plant parts and to encourage the development of healthy new stems. Best wishes with your garden!