Giant Redwood tree - Knowledgebase Question

mesa, az
Question by dalita
I planted this tree at my summer home elevation, 6500 in Heber, Az.approx 2 months ago. It has a drip system to the tree, so watered on a regular schedule. but it is turning brown around the base . Please help as I paid a lot of money for this tree and hate to lose it.

0

I'm a little confused about your question. If your tree is on a drip system and the bark around the base of the tree is turning brown, it may be that your watering system is keeping the soil around the trunk too wet. If it stays too wet for a prolonged period of time, it could rot. If this is the case, it's time to move your drip system away from the trunk. If, on the other hand, the lower branches are turning brown, I'd suspect a root problem - either overly wet or overly dry soil, poor drainage, or damage to the roots from tunneling critters. Hope this information helps you determine just what is happening to your redwood tree!