TRAVELING VINE - Knowledgebase Question

Chicago, IL (Zone 5B)
Avatar for kapcrmgr
Question by kapcrmgr
July 22, 2005
There is a vine that has taken over my yard. It has leaves and wraps itself around branches of my rose bushes, lilacs and fence. I have had to use sheers to cut the vine and pull off my plants and fence. What is it called? How do I kill it?

Answer from NGA
July 22, 2005
Unfortunately based on your description I am not able to tell you which specific vine this is. It might be an invasive Japanese honeysuckle vine or bindweed, but there are many possibilities. Your local county extension should be able to help you identify it and suggest a control plan for it. With some vines it takes repeated controls such as applications of an herbicide containing glyphosate per the label instructions plus repeated cutting back and sometimes digging it out by the roots to gain control over several years' time. Good luck!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Rozanne"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.