Cape Plumbago - Disease - Knowledgebase Question

houston, tx
Question by kmariehaug
I have several cape plumbago planted next to my driveway under a Vitex tree. They have always done well until recently when each plant one by one suffers wilting of the leaves and then browning of the branches until only a few branches are lect green with the flowers. So far none of the plants seem to be coming back although they are hanging in there./ What can I do? Is this a disease. They are Monrovia plants.

Thanks

0

Karen,

It does sound like something is wrong in the roots. It may be a root rot fungus or the result of soggy wet soil conditions which often lead to fungal problem in the roots. I suggest you dig down a few inches and feel the soil to see if it is just moist or soggy wet. Try to water just enough to keep it moist. There are fungicides for drenching the soil to fight root rots but fixing the moisture problem is the simplest, least expensive way.