Brom - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8B)
Question by d_toolman
I purchased a tropical plant at Home Depot and the name on the pot was BROM. I would like to know more about this plant...ie: where it comes from? what type of soil it needs to be planted in? and how to keep the color in the top portion of the plant. I transplanted it from a 4

0

Gene,

I am not sure what that was. I think the letters brom were an abbreviation for Bromeliad. These plants look somewhat like the top of a pineapple, but there are so many forms that it is impossible to make accurate statements about their care. If it was a standard type it will appreciate a lot of light and periodic watering but not so often as to keep the soil soggy or the plant will rot. Allow water to catchin the tops of the whorl of leaves as this is how the plants which often live on trees catch water in the wild. Fertilize monthly with a very dilute soluble product such as Miracle Gro at the low label rate.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"