Mimosa Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Framingham, MA
Question by mjtf2000
Hi,
I've seen a Mimosa Tree in my town doing beautifully although according to your map we are in zone 4 or 5. Would you advise that I take the chance and order one?
Thanks,
MJ

0

Generally speaking the tree should not be surviving in your town as you know. Provenance or geographic seed source can plat a role in hardiness. Rather than purchase a tree, I would suggest you ask the owner if you could collect some seeds from their tree or transplant a few tiny seedlings next spring. (Dig a large shovel of soil to move a seedling just a couple of inches tall.) Microclimate can also play a big role in overwintering success. Plant it in a spot with a similar microclimate (it may be protected from wind and nestled between heat-holding buildings for example) mulch heavily in late fall and cross your fingers. Good luck with your experiment!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"