Planting Mimosa Tree Seeds - Knowledgebase Question

Independence, Ks
Question by lostinoz6730
Hi from Kansas, I Love and have Many Mimosa full grown Trees and Love them. I was just wondering you know the hanging green pods that are are the tree during blooming? Can I open them and plant the little seeds that are in them. Would they become trees?? Is there any special soil to use if I can plant them?? Any answer from you would be appreciated!!! Thanks Marianne

0

You can collect the seeds from the ripened seed pods and plant them in garden soil or potting soil and they will readily sprout. Leave the pods on the tree until they turn brown and begin to twist and pop open. Collect the seeds and either sow them immediately, or store them in a cool dry place to start next spring. Bury the seeds twice as deep as they are wide and keep the growing medium moist but not soggy wet. The seeds should sprout in 10-14 days. Best wishes with your new little trees!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"