Animal Poop in The Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Lakeside, CA
Question by czmijew
We have a problem with an animal pooping in our garden. It might be a cat, a dog, or a skunk. I remove them as soon as I see them. How can I discourage this without harming my flowers?

0

Well.... I don't blame you for not wanting to garden around animal feces! It's not sanitary and it not very fragrant. One way to discourage animals from digging in the garden is to use crumpled up poultry netting (chicken wire) on the bare soil. You can either cut holes so you can plant shrubs and large perennials, or you can plant annuals right through the holes. The theory is that animals don't like the feel of the springy wire under their feet. Another approach is to use large pieces of bark as a mulch around your plants so the animals can't dig in the soil. Animals are returning to your garden plot out of habit. If you can discourage them for a season, your visitors will get the message and find some other place to dig.