what to grow in total shade - Knowledgebase Question

Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10)
Question by surffantum
I have an alcove that faces south and gets little or no sun. What type of plants ,shrubs & flowers can I plant there.My home is in south florida on the eastern shore.

0

Frank,

I am sorry for this delayed reply to your gardening question. We are transitioning to a new Q&A system and your question was unfortunately lost in the transition. I have discovered it now and hope this reply is not too late to be of help.

If the shade in that area is from deep shade to bright shade most of the plants we think of as "houseplants" should do well there. Your question has so many possible answers that it is difficult to be specific. I would consider such plants as ginger (many types), caladiums, and impatiens. For lots more info and ideas check out the following website which has many useful links:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/TOPIC...