How can I help my Peonies recover from our move? - Knowledgebase Question

Sutherlin, OR (Zone 7B)
Question by cjlusk59
We just moved and I dug some of my favorite plants with me, the most precious is my
Peony, given to me by a dear friend. How can
I help my peony since it is suffering from the
move.
Thank you

0

Peonies really don't like to be disturbed once they've become established, but sometimes it's necessary to dig and divide the clumps. This is usually done in the fall, after frost kills the foliage back, and the plants are going into their resting period. Digging and transplanting in July or August will probably annoy your peonies, but it shouldn't kill them. If your peony is still in a pot, leave it there until late fall, after the tops die down and then plant it in its permanent spot. If you've already planted your peony, water it regularly to help in the transition, but expect it to look unhappy for the remainder of the growing season. Next spring it should look much healthier. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"