marigolds - Knowledgebase Question

east hampton, NY
Question by marciapp
Some small animal is eating all my marigolds, either a mole or chipmonk. It starts at the flowers and then goes on the the stem. How can I protect my flowers?

0

Marigolds are often used to surround gardens because they repel many pests. It must be a real surprise to find that something has been eating your marigolds. Moles remain underground, so they're not the culprits, and chipmonks won't feed on marigolds so I think the problem is with slugs or snails. These night feeders can completely wipe out a small plant in just a few days. Look for slime trails on the leaves or on the soil beneath your marigolds. Or, go out at night with a flashlight to see if you can catch the critters in the act. You can handpick the pests or set out traps to control them. Best wishes with your marigolds!