Pruining flowers from hostas? - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Station, IN
Question by slundy_99
I was recently told by someone that in order to keep my hostas bunched up that I should prune off the flower stalks either before they bloom or shortly after (can't remember) and I'm having trouble finding any information about it, can you help?

0

Hostas may be deadheaded if you wish but it is not necessary. Some people like the blooms and find the seed pods decorative, other people remove them before the flowers even open. They will stay healthy either way, in my experience. Some hostas are naturally clumpers and others are naturally more stoloniferous and spread. Allowing them to bloom (or not) would not change that growth habit. Allowing them to bloom and set seed however could result in seedlings that grow in your garden nearby and this could make it seem like the parent plant was spreading out. The seedlings are easy enough to pull out. I hope this helps.