mimosa tree - Knowledgebase Question

altadena, ca
Question by josephine6
I want to plant a mimosa tree in a shaded area. Will it thrive as opposed to being in full sun? I have a Japanese garden, what tree could work, besides Japanese Maples, in the shade?

thank you ---

0

Mimosa will grow in less than full sunshine, but will usually takes on a very sprawling shape if it is growing in the shade.

Japanese, or "kousa" dogwood trees (Cornus kousa) is a delightful tree for your Japanese garden. Their usually white, star-shaped blooms appear later in spring than do the flowers on other dogwoods. Fall foliage is purplish-red. The red berries of kousa dogwood trees persist into winter and are eaten by wild birds. Average height and spread of 15'-30'.

A variation is provided by the "Satomi" kousa dogwood tree (Cornus kousa 'Satomi'), which bears deep pink blossoms in spring.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"