Phalaenopsis Orchid - Knowledgebase Question

Vancouver, BC, WA
Question by garlee
Can you give me some growing pointers for my orchid? Should I cut off the flower spike when the bloom fades? I keep the soil moist, but the roots seem dry. Where is the crown of the plant?

0

Phalaenopsis, or Moth Orchid, bears numerous blooms on single, arching stalks. You can cut the stalk down when you're sure it's finished flowering. Some of the roots will grow above the soil line - it's okay if they appear dry, as long as the potting medium is kept moist. Your orchid likes lots of humidity, so make sure you put the pot on a tray of pebbles and add water to the tray every week. The crown of the plant is the area in the center where the leaves emerge, and extends down to the soil line. To be safe, don't water the crown of the plant, but apply water directly to the soil. Enjoy the fragrant blossoms!