Tall Hedge-Rhamnus frangula - Knowledgebase Question

portsmouth, nh
Question by alsn
I have a desperate need to continue a beautiful tall narrow hedge of Buckthorn. I understand it's now considered invasive and impossible to buy. I purchased 50 mature 9' ones, 15 years ago and need to replace a few damaged ones and extend one existing row about another 40 feet. And ideas for me? I'm desperate!

0

Rhamnus frangula is considered an invasive species and therefore is not readily available in nurseries. I found some in Illinois and Missouri, but not in New Hampshire. You might try propagating your buckthorns through tip cuttings, layering or root division to increase your supply, but these will take some time to grow to the size required for replacement of mature specimens. Wish I had better news for you!