Finding A Specific Type Of Tomato - Knowledgebase Question

Hackettstown, NJ
Question by springer78
I attended an heirloom tomato tasting party and fell in love with what was simply called "tiny tomatoes". They were almost a small as currants, but were the most flavorful of all the varieities tasted. Where can I get a plant - not seeds, since Ido not have the facilities to raise from seed.

Sincerely,
Marie

0

The tomatoes you are looking for are often called "tiny tomatoes" but you were on the money when you said they were almost as small as currants...they are called currant tomatoes. I found two different ones, but unfortunately, in seed form only. Most places with a wide variety carry seed only, generally if a source offers plants it's only in the more common varieties. Nevertheless, here is where I found them, just in case you change your mind (you really don't need a lot of "facilities" to start from seed. I used to grow tomato from seed in my college dorm room. Let us know if you want any advice). Tiny Tim tomatoes are available from Totally Tomatoes at P.O. Box 1626, Augusta, GA 30903-1626, ph# (803)663-0016. Both Red Currant and Yellow Currant varieties are available from Johnny's Selected Seed at (207) 437-4301, or visit their website at www.johnnyseeds.com. Also, now that you know what they are called, contact local nurseries about the availability of plants. Sometimes they take special requests.