Tree fungus? - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Worth, TX
Question by bgrassl9
August 22, 2005
I have a mimosa tree that had developed very beefy mushrooms(2)at it's base about a month ago and now the tree looks dead! I know the area has been suffering from


Image
Answer from NGA
August 22, 2005

0

The mushrooms at the base of the tree are likely the "fruiting bodies" of a fungus that is feeding on dead wood, so once you see the mushrooms there isn't anything you can do... there are usually a sign that the tree is dead or dying, rather than the cause of death. It's impossible for me to know what caused your tree to die, so I can't say if your other one is OK or not. If it's a treasured tree, you could call in a professional arborist to evaluate its health.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Hibiscus 'Purpureus Variegatus'"