Swimming Pool - Knowledgebase Question

Manteca, CA
Question by djo8560139
I am landscaping a backyard and have a space 2ft wide and 10 ft long behind a pool waterfall and next to a fence. I am trying for a tropical theme and planning to plant hibiscus, bougainvilla, and Queen palms. Suggestions that would fit in the 2x10 space yet be striking? Had thought of a type of palm, but unsure?

0

A suggestion is Nandina (Heavenly Bamboo). This shrub isn't really related to bamboo, but the upright stems have joints, similar to those of bamboo. The foliage is medium-green, changing to orange with reddish hues during the winter months. It's a broadleaf evergreen and does produce flowers (rather insignificant) and sometimes small berries, but is quite well behaved and a good choice for near ponds and pools. If you'd rather have an upright conifer-type plant, a dwarf Italian Cypress would fit the situation you describe. For seasonal color, how about adding some coleus (multicolored foliage), and hemerocallis (daylilies). Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"