garden club - Knowledgebase Question

Hale, Mi
Question by jlb4662
I belong to a local garden club and we planted street planters using a spike, bacoba, and red geraniums. The planters looked very nice at first planting. The plants were in 4 inch pots with good roots and the soil used was Miracle Gro potting soil. However after a short while the geraniums lost their flower and looked rather dull. We had a very hot summer and watered a lot. The bacopas looked good. Could it be that the geraniums had to much water , too much sun, not a good combination of plants or the wrong soil?

0

Although the planters probably looked spectacular for a little while, bacopa requires much more water than geraniums appreciate. I suspect they were unhappy with such moist soil. Rather than use geraniums with moist-soil loving plants, why not plant them in their own containers so you can allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings? They'll be much happier for it, and so will you!