Wilted, drying leaves tree - Knowledgebase Question

Boyds, MD
Question by md20876
My weeping cherry tree was planted in Spring 2004. It was doing fine and flowered beautifully last Spring but 3 days ago all of the leaves started to be wilted and dry looking. There is sap (brown color) all around the base of the trunk and down in the soil. Please help with a solution to help me save this tree.
Thank you,
Muoi Dang

0

Unfortunately, this really does not sound good at all. The exudate or gummosis could be the result of borer or other damage to the trunk and sudden wilting is often a sign that the tree is dying. I would strongly suggest you work with your local professionally trained and certified nurseryman and/or your county extension or possible a professionally trained and certified arborist to check the tree and see if there is any hope. I'm so sorry.