transplanting sedum - Knowledgebase Question

antioch, il
Question by bhupp34626
My autumn fire sedum is overgrowing. Do I thin it out now, and transplant, or wait until spring? Also, I usually wait until spring to cut it down and it seems to work - am I doing the right thing?

0

When to cut it down is a matter of personal preference. Some people like the look of it in the winter, others prefer to cut it back in late fall. Although I have dug and divided and replanted sedums like this in the early fall, it ruins the display for the season because you need to cut them back when you divide them to compensate for the roots lost. I also think it is much more stressful on them than a spring move. So I would wait until spring when they begin to grow, then divide and transplant. Sedums usually only need dividing every four years or so, but you can do it more often if you wish. If you need lots of plants, you can also root tip cuttings very easily in the spring -- break off a stem and plunge it into the soil. It will root. Good luck with your sedums!