cacti - zone 7 - Knowledgebase Question

Elmhurst, NY (Zone 6B)
Question by joexyved
can you recommend any cacti/ succulents that can be grown outdoors (including withstanding winter)in zone 7 (new york city)

0

I should mention that your zip code places you in zone 6B, the warmer part of zone 6. If you have a very sheltered microclimate, it might actually be as warm as zone 7. Sedums are hardy perennials and between the various cultivars they offer a nice array of plants that do well in your area, with that interesting "succulent" type look and should grow well for you. Semperivivum and Yucca are others to consider. Prickly pear (Opuntia) cactus will do great, but it is a cactus and the spines are extremely painful if you touch it -- this makes it difficult to weed in between. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"