Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Camillus, NY (Zone 5A)
Question by grpfla2002
If I have to transplant my roses now because I have to move them. What should be done (except watering) after digging the hole and moving them? also should they be cut back and get them ready for winter?
Thank You
Ken

0

If you have to move them now, dig them with as much root as possible. Replant at the same depth. Water thoroughly to settle the soil. Mulch with several inches of organic mulch. Water if needed to supplement rain so that the soil stays slightly damp (not soaking wet or saturated) until it freezes. In late fall add more mulch over the root area. If they are hybrid tea roses you will also need to mound soil up about a foot high over the base of the plant. Remove this gradually in the spring. Other types of roses such as shrub roses - assuming they are rated hardy for your new location -- should be fine with just a deep mulch over the root area, although a wind break might also be helpful this first winter. Do not prune or fertilize them this fall. This would stimulate late season growth and increase the chances for winter damage, it also would put stress on the plant to grow when what you want is rooting. Good luck!