Can I do this? - Knowledgebase Question

Lennon, MI
Question by Freeway1
I have a wide band of peastone around my house.If, I sank a large container in the peastone and filled it with garden soil, would a pieris be happy long term? How large of a pot? Your site sizes by gallons. I only see pots sized by inches wide around here.

0

You can do this if you want your pieris to be only a temporary resident in your garden. Planting in a large container will allow you to move it at will. If it is to be a more permanent resident, you can simply rake away the pea gravel, dig a hole, and plant the pieris in the ground, then rake the pea gravel back so it is beneath the shrub. If you do decide to plant your shrub in a container, you'll need a rather large one because pieris can become a rather large shrub. I'd use a plastic half-whiskey barrel (about 30-gallons) 3' deep and wide. If that's unavailable, use a plastic or terra cotta container that is at least 24" deep and wide. Best wishes with your pieris!