Mimosa Tree Winter Care - Knowledgebase Question

new haven, ct
Question by wwwkrnld2
I bought a mimosa tree last year and it died, but many area trees did also and they were a lot older than mine. This year I bought a new one and it seems to be doing well. Should I wrap it for the winter or use burlap when leaves fall off or just fertilize with 10*10*10* for the winter? The tree gets full sun in summer and in winter full exposuer to the elements.

0

The most important things you can do are apply a deep mulch in late fall (after a few hard freezes) and provide wind protection. Do not fertilize it now, do not prune it now. These would both stimulate late season growth and prevent it from hardening off prior to winter. Also, if it should die back in the winter, be very patient before deciding it is dead as it may regrow from the roots. Good luck with your mimosa!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"