Poisonous Yew - Knowledgebase Question

St. Johns, AZ
Question by lsfence
September 23, 2005
How poisonous and dangerous is dense spreading yew (taxus x media 'densiformis')? Is it dangerous to plant near homes with children?

Answer from NGA
September 23, 2005


English yew (Taxus) is an introduced ornamental shrub that is hardy in the warmest parts of the U.S. This shrub has caused poisoning and death in cattle, horses, and humans. Ingesting leaves, bark, or seeds can cause poisoning in all animals. The fleshy fruit pulp is considered to be nontoxic (or low in toxicity). Taxine, a complex of alkaloids, is found in the plant. Children should be taught not to eat the fruit or seeds of this plant. Animals should not have access to the shrub or clippings of the branches (Cooper and Johnson 1984, Feldman et al. 1987).

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:



[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Penstemon Dark Towers blooms"