Replanting a well established plant - Knowledgebase Question

Gretna, Ne
Question by jrsskalina
I would like to move/replant a Dwarf Blue Leaf Artic Willow. It is 6 years old and is quite established being around 6 ft tall and 6 ft wide. It is very healthy, if I can get most of the root, will it survive a move? Thanks

0

It can be risky to transplant an established tree, but it can be done if you are careful. To lessen transplant shock, wait until your willow has gone into dormancy. Air and soil temperatures will be cooler in winter which will help the roots establish. As you dig, try not to damage or sever too many roots. When you replant, spread the roots out in a natural fashion and backfill with native soil, gently tamping the soil down to remove air pockets. Try to plant it at the same soil level as it was growing before and water the willow in well after replanting to help settle the soil.

You'll know in the spring when your willow leafs out whether or not it suffered any trauma with the move. Best wishes with your move!