partial sun perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Falls City, NE
Question by johnvonbehre
I have a maple tree located in our front lawn and is in a highly visible area. Under the tree I planted 7 Aphrodite Astilbe this past year. The salmon pink plumes looked very nice in our color scheme of purple, violet, red, & yellow, but unfortunately the blooms only lasted 2-3 weeks in the late spring, then were gone for the rest of the spring/summer/fall. Is there any way I can get any more LASTING color under this tree (other than green hostas)? Plants will get only partial sunlight.

0

Astilbes normally bloom for just a short time, this is true for most perennials. For lasting color you would need to plant annuals such as impatiens -- these come in many colors that would fit well into your scheme including salmon.