How can I create a garden that attracts bees? - Knowledgebase Question

Wichita, KS
Question by katschneider
I live in USDA Hardiness Zone 6A, and am interested in planting a few perennials that will attract bees to my yard. I'm not primarily interested in a flower garden per se, only in attracting bees to pollinate my vegetable garden. Can you please recommend a few easy-to-care-for perennials that will increase my chances for a successful vegetable garden next year? Thank you!

Cordially,
Kat Schneider

0

Since you want bees and not necessarily flowering perennials, there are two plants I can highly recommend. I use both near my veggie garden and they are superior bee attractors: consider planting buckwheat or red clover. Both are magnets to bees and both can be used as soil amendments when they've finished flowering. Red clover is low growing; buckwheat can grow 24" tall. Simply knock them down and dig them into the soil when they've finished blooming. Best wishes with your veggie garden!